2 Dates
So I had two first dates this past weekend, and they both went well. The first was Friday night with Jonathan. Jonathan is a recent Engineer turned Realtor. He's 30, good looking, wants kids, likes cats, line dances, and believes in God (but has Jewish background...not sure about that one). We went to Continental Flambe in downtown Melbourne. It's an upscale European restaurant with great food. I had the Mushroom Crêpe Served with White Wine Cream Sauce for an appetizer and the Pistachio Coated Salmon with Duo of Sauces - Newberg and Boursin Cheese for my entree (although, had I known there would be no goodnight kiss, I would've opted for the Pan Seared Salmon Served with Caramelized Onions and Ginger Beurre Blanc). The conversation was very good. We talked a bit about relationships, the differences between men and women, and where our lives were headed. It was all done very lightly, with some humor thrown in. I like talking to Jonathan, but I can't say much about his conviction to his opinions. He seems very wishy-washy about most subjects. He did express a fear of being "caught" eating his words somehow...he calls it open-mindedness, but I tend to subscribe to the lack-of-self-confidence-in-his-opinions-because-he's-afraid-of-upsetting-the-girl theory. I mean, you can be open-minded and still have an opinion.
After dinner we went to Main Street Pub just down the block. It's a quaint place with a Tiki Bar out back and an upstairs balcony. We had a few drinks, more good conversation, then headed back to his place to finish up with some TV watching (or what I thought would be some heavy petting). He made exactly 2 moves: 1) he held my hand, and 2) he moved his arm around me. Now, normally, I would've either done one of two things: 1) jumped him, or 2) called him out on it. I am letting him call the shots this time for two reasons: 1) he told me before that he maybe wasn't ready for dating again (I can only assume he asked me out then because he felt he couldn't pass me up), and 2) what I've been doing in the past obviously hasn't been working for me, so I'm trying something new.
Anyways, nothing happened, not even when I left. I got a hug at the door. Even after I had given him two gifts before dinner. We were supposed to be celebrating a house closing that made him a lot of money, so I got him a new, professional looking, business card holder as a congratulations gift, and a journal to write in to track his biking progress and other things. I thought for sure these would guarantee me at least a kiss on the cheek...no such luck. He text messaged me the next morning, but I haven't heard from him since?
So the next day I had a lunch date in Orlando with Don. Don works for Disney (Manager of Canada at Epcot), he's 33, good looking, wants kids, likes cats, is Christian, but doesn't dance to save his life. We went to Panara at Millenia Mall, which happens to be a mere mile from his house. The conversation went well. We drifted from fashion, to our backgrounds, to our jobs...well his job at least. He can talk alot. But I think it paid off me doing most of the listening, because most people like to talk about themselves anyways. We walked around the mall, checking out the crazy stores and gadgets. There was a lot of laughing and a lot of opinion sharing going on. There was one serious part where he shared with me that his mother is in remission for cancer. It wasn't awkward, really...I was just surprised that he would share something so tragic with me so quickly after having met me. I met him at 1pm and eded up leaving at 5pm. We walked to the parking lot, and I didn't get a kiss from him either. Not even a hug or a handshake. So I left confused about how he felt about me. It all got straightened out later when he IM'd me and complimented me out the wazoo, then asked me out for later this week.
So all in all, they were both good dates. Each man has his strong points, and his less desirable qualities, but they are both stand-up guys. I hope at least one of them works out so I can finally move out of Singleville and into Relationship Village...or at least have a Valentine this year.
After dinner we went to Main Street Pub just down the block. It's a quaint place with a Tiki Bar out back and an upstairs balcony. We had a few drinks, more good conversation, then headed back to his place to finish up with some TV watching (or what I thought would be some heavy petting). He made exactly 2 moves: 1) he held my hand, and 2) he moved his arm around me. Now, normally, I would've either done one of two things: 1) jumped him, or 2) called him out on it. I am letting him call the shots this time for two reasons: 1) he told me before that he maybe wasn't ready for dating again (I can only assume he asked me out then because he felt he couldn't pass me up), and 2) what I've been doing in the past obviously hasn't been working for me, so I'm trying something new.
Anyways, nothing happened, not even when I left. I got a hug at the door. Even after I had given him two gifts before dinner. We were supposed to be celebrating a house closing that made him a lot of money, so I got him a new, professional looking, business card holder as a congratulations gift, and a journal to write in to track his biking progress and other things. I thought for sure these would guarantee me at least a kiss on the cheek...no such luck. He text messaged me the next morning, but I haven't heard from him since?
So the next day I had a lunch date in Orlando with Don. Don works for Disney (Manager of Canada at Epcot), he's 33, good looking, wants kids, likes cats, is Christian, but doesn't dance to save his life. We went to Panara at Millenia Mall, which happens to be a mere mile from his house. The conversation went well. We drifted from fashion, to our backgrounds, to our jobs...well his job at least. He can talk alot. But I think it paid off me doing most of the listening, because most people like to talk about themselves anyways. We walked around the mall, checking out the crazy stores and gadgets. There was a lot of laughing and a lot of opinion sharing going on. There was one serious part where he shared with me that his mother is in remission for cancer. It wasn't awkward, really...I was just surprised that he would share something so tragic with me so quickly after having met me. I met him at 1pm and eded up leaving at 5pm. We walked to the parking lot, and I didn't get a kiss from him either. Not even a hug or a handshake. So I left confused about how he felt about me. It all got straightened out later when he IM'd me and complimented me out the wazoo, then asked me out for later this week.
So all in all, they were both good dates. Each man has his strong points, and his less desirable qualities, but they are both stand-up guys. I hope at least one of them works out so I can finally move out of Singleville and into Relationship Village...or at least have a Valentine this year.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home