I Heart Joel McHale
So I've got another Celeb to add to the boinking list. Joel McHale, host of E!'s "The Soup" is one of the funniest, sexiest, wittiest guys out there. I have religiously watched The Soup every weekend for about a year now, and Joel has never failed to make me laugh. You may remember Joel from the office Burger King commercials, or perhaps from his brief appearance as Mr. Jacks in Spiderman 2. But if that's all you've seen of him, then you are truly missing out on a comic genius. Watch The Soup. Laugh your ass off. Repeat.I've gone to the Bookstore the past couple nights to check out the Freakonomics book. I had planned on just purchasing it, but I can get an extra 10% off if I have a membership card (which Jenn has). So because I am a cheap-ass, I am waiting for Jenn to go with me to buy it so I can get the discount. In the mean time, I am just showing up
and reading it for about an hour at a time. The book so far has proved to be very interesting. Levitt and Dubner delve into at a lot of obscure cause and effect relationships and ask questions that no one has thought to ask before. For example, in the 80's there was a big scare that America would be overrun by crime. According to the steady increase of crime in the past, experts predicted a grim future for us. But something happened in the 90's that took everyone by surprise...crime actually went down! So the experts, now backpedaling, were doing everything in their power to explain away this trend. They credited the government for getting "tough on crime"...stricter gun laws and better training for police officers. But according to Freakonomics, this was not even close to the reason for the crime decrease. The real reason all comes down to one woman named Norma McCorvey...better known as Jane Roe from the Roe vs. Wade trial of 1973. It is a known fact that children who come from poor families and/or broken homes are more likely to wind up dabbling in criminal activity. Poor, single mothers are the perfect breeding ground for criminals. Before Roe vs. Wade, these poor, single mother's had no choice but to birth their unplanned pregnancies. After the trial, these mothers had the freedom to abort their children at will. That's right, the criminals were no longer being born. The effect would be seen years later in the 90's when the criminals would've been in their teens/20's. Crime went down because the amount of available criminals decreased. The whole Freakonomics book is full of weird correlations like this.Running Journal
Monday - Slim Fast for breakfast, turkey sandwich and baked potato for lunch, applesauce and shortbread cookie for snack. 5K on the treadmill in 33:20 @ 5.5 mph, which is typical. About 20 minutes into the run I get a crappy side cramp on my right. I lasts until the end of the run :( It is getting hotter in the gym because of the approaching summer, so I really need to start watching my water intake. It's hard to drink water while running at 5.5 mph.
I did my new 20 minute leg routine and 10 minute abs as well.
Tuesday - Slim Fast for Breakfast, turkey noodle soup and baby carrots for lunch, applesauce and trail mix for snack. Ran for 25 minutes. Did the first mile at 5.7 mph, then had to drop it down to 5.5 mph the rest of the way. I'm slightly disappointed that I didn't go further with the 5.7 mph, but it took a lot out of me. It was just fast enough to give me an uncomfortable stride increase. Maybe next time I will try the 25 minutes at 5.6 mph.
Also did 20 minutes arms and 10 minute abs.
Wednesday - Slim Fast for Breakfast, vegetable soup and carrots for lunch, applesauce for snack. Tried something new by running 30 second sprints. I started out regular at 5.5 mph, then every 1.5 minutes, I turned it up to 6.5 for 30 seconds. I continued this for 20 minutes. I'm not gonna lie, it was defiantly hard. It was good in a way because it took me back to when I first started running and I got to change it up every couple of minutes, which took care of the boredom factor. But, it also wore me out. I wanted to quit, and there was actually no one there to impress, but I just kept going. My blisters are becoming a huge pain. I put bandaids on, but they shift when I run, so they're not doing much good :(
Also did legs and abs.
Tonight is the monthly ypB social at Baytree! Should be fun. I'm wearing my cute Banana Republic dress that I LOVE...it's very country club. Afterwards everyone is headed to Pizza Uno for drinks, so I might not make it to County Line? I will be sure to take plenty of pictures though!


1 Comments:
At 11:49 AM,
JGirten said…
ENOUGH WITH THE DAMN SLIM FAST..!! HA HA.. Do you like the taste or doing it for diet?? I will give you a nutrition lesson.. ha ha let me get something to you that will work for you if you try it and keep to it..
Post a Comment
<< Home