All About Me!

Welcome to my website! Here you will find out all about me; ie. what I'm doing, thinking, eating, watching, feeling...you get the drift. And yes, my ego is just big enough to believe that you really care ;)

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

ypB CEO chat a success!

Ok, so we didn't have as many people show up as we would've liked (or that RSVP'd at least), but it was still a success. My friend, John DeMarco, did most of the interviewing of Community Educators Credit Union CEO David Brock in a very "Inside the Actor's Studio" way. We learned all about his childhood, college days, hobbies (David plays in a band called Don't Quit Your Day Job), odd jobs (he used to be a hair stylist!), and path through life. It was a very interesting take since I thought we would be focusing more on the CEO part of him...but still entertaining none-the-less. David Brock is your typical run-of-the-mill good ol' boy from Tennessee, so he had some good stories to tell. David mentioned the book Freakonomics, and I have seen it at the store several times, and even picked it up to look at it. It did look interesting, so I think I might head out and pick it up before going Key West.

I did end up asking a couple of questions when John opened up the floor to the audience.
- How did you balance your family with your demanding career early on?
The answer to this one in a nutshell was "Not very well". David did have to make some family sacrifices when his children were younger, and I could tell that he harbors some regret for that, but I don't think he would change anything if he had to do it all over again.
- Did you have to ask for your promotions or were they offered to you?
David finally got around to saying that he had a Mentor that was looking out for him. She could tell he had the potential to go far, so she was the one who "hooked him up" so to speak with most of his opportunities. It's all about who you know these days.

John ended the night with a couple of rapid fire questions where David gets 5 seconds to answer. My favorite one was "What do you hope St. Peter will say to you when you get to those Pearly Gates?" David's answer, "Come on in and stay forever".

Switching subjects for a bit to one of my favorite subjects to talk about (as well as bitch about)...men.
There was a guy, Mike, that I knew was coming last night to the CEO thing. I had met him, briefly, at the last ypB function. Since I was being door greeter last night, I was full on prepared for when he would show up and what I would say. I slipped from my post for about 1 minute to take pics of everyone in the lounge, and when I came back, he had somehow managed to sneak in during that 1 minute...but I didn't notice at the time. I only noticed when I left my post to take pics for a second time and I ended up taking a pic of him without realizing it was him! (See --------> Cute, huh!) When my brain finally wrapped around what had just happened, I panicked and ran away! WTF!? That is so unlike me! I'm like this HUGE flirt! Why couldn't I just say something cool like, "Hey, you snuck past me" or something?! AAARRGGG! So I went back to the door and started chanting "stupid, stupid, stupid" and beating my head. I blew it.

After the show, there were still some sandwiches and sodas left, so everyone headed back into the lounge to knosh. Ok, so this was my opportunity to fix my retardedness. Be brave and just apologize for ignoring him and strike up a conversation. I headed to the sodas to give my hand something to hang on to and myself something to do just in case there was a speaking lull. Mike kinda met me half way and asked if I had taken any good pictures? Bless him for making this easier on me! So I answered him, then apologized for ignoring him, and we fell into a conversation like it was no big deal. Whew! I don't know why I have to make things so hard sometimes!?

Mike ended up giving me his card so I could e-mail him all the pics from the ypB stuff. Hopefully that was just a line so he could get my e-mail address? (Crossing fingers). I sent him the pics this morning, but haven't heard back yet. Interesting tid-bit that I totally had a brain fart over...I know Mike's boss! I was in a leads group with David H. Morgan for like a year, but for some reason when Mike told me he worked for Morgan Financial, I didn't make the connection? I'm a dumbass cause that would've been a perfect thing to talk about! Dammit!

I will keep you posted on this one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home