Book Sale!
So CSR was having a book sale today to benefit the local schools. I've never been before, so I thought I would go and peruse the mercandise. While the insane amount of Harloquin Romance novels runneth over, I was able to pick up 7 new books that appealed to me:
1. The Gospel According to the Simpsons by Mark I. Pinsky
2. Who Do You Think You Are? - The Berkeley Personality Profile by Keith Harry and Eileen Donahue
3. Mean Genes - Taming Our Primal Instincts by Terry Burnham and Jay Phelan
4. When Did Wild Poodles Roam the Earth? by David Feldman
5. God and the Cosmologists by Stanley L. Jaki
6. More Letters from a Nut by Ted L. Nancy
7. The Demon-Haunted World by Carl Sagan
So what does this choice collection of used books say about me? Some speak for my desire to learn new things, about myself and the human mind, some speak for my spirituality, something I am currently struggling with, and some speak for pure entertainment value of quirky trivia and weird stories. As a whole, I usually read for information's sake, not for fun. If I do read for fun, it is limited to magazine articles, humerous short stories, or text books. I really just don't get that much out of reading fiction books/novels. I don't think it makes me less interesting, or a worse person than someone who enjoys reading a fiction book. A vivid imagination and a creative mind are not something I lack. I would just rather watch TV for entertainment than read a book. Some may say TV is unstimulating and causes your brain to go to mush, but I would disagree. I think TV is very stimulating. It engages your senses; you have to watch, and listen to dialogue, then interpret everything, it causes you to laugh, cry, get angry, become emotionally attached to certain characters. For me, TV is a very fulfilling source of entertainment that I can do by myself. Does it beat real life? Hell no, but then again, neither should books.
Work has been non-stop this week, and we keep getting more. I have been spoiled in this job until now, so I'm not complaining. At least I have something to do.
Tax free week is going on until the 30th, so I think I will take this opportunity to head to some stores and get some new clothes instead of going to the gym right after work. If I did it the other way around, I wouldn't be able to try anything on!
1. The Gospel According to the Simpsons by Mark I. Pinsky
2. Who Do You Think You Are? - The Berkeley Personality Profile by Keith Harry and Eileen Donahue
3. Mean Genes - Taming Our Primal Instincts by Terry Burnham and Jay Phelan
4. When Did Wild Poodles Roam the Earth? by David Feldman
5. God and the Cosmologists by Stanley L. Jaki
6. More Letters from a Nut by Ted L. Nancy
7. The Demon-Haunted World by Carl Sagan
So what does this choice collection of used books say about me? Some speak for my desire to learn new things, about myself and the human mind, some speak for my spirituality, something I am currently struggling with, and some speak for pure entertainment value of quirky trivia and weird stories. As a whole, I usually read for information's sake, not for fun. If I do read for fun, it is limited to magazine articles, humerous short stories, or text books. I really just don't get that much out of reading fiction books/novels. I don't think it makes me less interesting, or a worse person than someone who enjoys reading a fiction book. A vivid imagination and a creative mind are not something I lack. I would just rather watch TV for entertainment than read a book. Some may say TV is unstimulating and causes your brain to go to mush, but I would disagree. I think TV is very stimulating. It engages your senses; you have to watch, and listen to dialogue, then interpret everything, it causes you to laugh, cry, get angry, become emotionally attached to certain characters. For me, TV is a very fulfilling source of entertainment that I can do by myself. Does it beat real life? Hell no, but then again, neither should books.
Work has been non-stop this week, and we keep getting more. I have been spoiled in this job until now, so I'm not complaining. At least I have something to do.
Tax free week is going on until the 30th, so I think I will take this opportunity to head to some stores and get some new clothes instead of going to the gym right after work. If I did it the other way around, I wouldn't be able to try anything on!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home