All About Me!

Welcome to my website! Here you will find out all about me; ie. what I'm doing, thinking, eating, watching, feeling...you get the drift. And yes, my ego is just big enough to believe that you really care ;)

Thursday, August 24, 2006

It's official...that dog is outta here!

FYI, this is my second post of the day, so scroll down to see what I posted this morning.

So as of today, PLUTO IS NO LONGER A PLANET! Woohoo! Good job IAU! Way to catch up to what the rest of us already knew! Here are the results of the meeting:

RESOLUTION 5A
The IAU therefore resolves that "planets" and other bodies in our Solar System be defined into three distinct categories in the following way:

(1) A "planet"1 is a celestial body that (a) is in orbit around the Sun, (b) has sufficient mass for its self-gravity to overcome rigid body forces so that it assumes a hydrostatic equilibrium (nearly round) shape, and (c) has cleared the neighbourhood around its orbit.

(2) A "dwarf planet" is a celestial body that (a) is in orbit around the Sun, (b) has sufficient mass for its self-gravity to overcome rigid body forces so that it assumes a hydrostatic equilibrium (nearly round) shape 2 , (c) has not cleared the neighbourhood around its orbit, and (d) is not a satellite.

(3) All other objects 3 except satellites orbiting the Sun shall be referred to collectively as "Small Solar-System Bodies".

1 The eight planets are: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune.
2 An IAU process will be established to assign borderline objects into either dwarf planet and other categories.
3 These currently include most of the Solar System asteroids, most Trans-Neptunian Objects (TNOs), comets, and other small bodies.

RESOLUTION 6A
The IAU further resolves:

Pluto is a "dwarf planet" by the above definition and is recognized as the prototype of a new category of trans-Neptunian objects.1

Wow, huh?! Can you believe they finally committed to something? I do feel a bit sad for Patsy Tombaugh a bit. They couldn't have waited til she passed on before demoting her husband's claim to fame? Surely she's only got a few more years in her? Maybe she doesn't care? I mean, Clyde's ashes are on their way to Pluto as we speak, so that's kinda cool for her to witness.
I think it would be awesome to shoot my ashes into space. I think it would be even cooler to shoot my full dead body into Earth's atmosphere and become a large "shooting star" for people to wish on. Go out with a bang, you know.

5 Comments:

  • At 12:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Long Live Pluto!

    Actually, I don't really care, I just thought it was funny.

     
  • At 1:39 PM, Blogger Brice said…

    Had no idea about the ashes. That is pretty cool. You should check out Ray Bradbury's story, "Kaleidoscope" if you don't know it already.

     
  • At 10:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    http://www.astronomiaonline.com/rtohme/?view=plink&id=6


    http://yomismamente51280.blogspot.com

     
  • At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You seem to don't have the slightest clue about how confuse and dumb is that definition.

    If you can read Spanish, read about that here:

    http://www.astronomiaonline.com/rtohme/?view=plink&id=6

     
  • At 12:33 PM, Blogger Rene' said…

    huh...I seem to have upset the Spanish!?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home