All About Me!

Welcome to my website! Here you will find out all about me; ie. what I'm doing, thinking, eating, watching, feeling...you get the drift. And yes, my ego is just big enough to believe that you really care ;)

Monday, May 22, 2006

I heart Tommy Boy

I haven't updated in awhile, so I will have to go all the way back to last Wednesday and take it from there...get ready.

(Deep Breath)

OK, so last Wednesday started out to be like any other night...went to the gym, and Jenn and I planned on going to coffee later. But then I talked to Zia and our plans changed to something unusual. He invited us out to Oasis to hang with him and some of his single work friends. Let me pre-empt everything with the fact that this is a bar Jenn, Nina, and I used to hang out at back in college. The last time I was there had to of been 6-7 years ago (where does the time go?!) So Jenn and I got all dolled up and headed down there to meet up with everyone at 9pm, like Zia said. An hour and 15 minutes later, they finally show.
For those of you unaware of my pet peeves, being exhorbantly late is a sure fire way to piss me off. To me it shows a complete lack of disrespect for me and my time. By the time the guys got there, I was really in no mood to talk to any of them, and I was ready to leave. It's just as well, the nerdy Harris boys were way more interested in the video poker game than talking to two beautiful women...but did we really expect any less from them? Jenn didn't want to leave, so I made the best of the night and forced a good time. Strangely enough, I saw the roommate of an ex-boyfriend I had in college there. I went over to say hi and I then started to remember why I didn't like him. He's a complete idiot...and still in college! Since he came to FIT in 97, that would make it his 9th year without yet obtaining a bachelor's degree. Scary. Just thinking about this situation reminds me of one of my favorite scenes from Tommy Boy:
David Spade: Hey you finally graduated...and just a shy under a decade; good for you.
Chris Farley: A lot of people go to school for 7 years!
David Spade: Ya, they're called Doctors.

On to Thursday night. Nina is finally back in town until the middle of June!! Yea, I have my Nina back!! She, Jenn, and I went out to dinner at Panera and then off to coffee to do some catching up. Gretchen and Paula joined us a little later and we had an all out laugh-til-you-cry-fest that only really close girlfriends are capable of. Not that we laughed at anything incredibly witty...our conversations always seem to drift back to two topics in particular...poop and fart jokes or sex...cause we're just that classy.

Friday night Nina, Jenn, Jill, and I headed out to Dog N Bone for the usual. We met up with Grady and the rest of "The Bank" co-workers for a few drinks. About halfway through the night, Jenn gets a call from her Mom. Bad news, Gary is back in the Hospital. The night is done and we head to the ER to see him and to check on Paula. Gary was bleeding out. He had already lost 2 pints of blood so he was a little disoriented and really scared. He was finally admitted, and they wouldn't let us see him, so we went home to catch some sleep, and decided to come back to see him the next day.

Saturday comes and still no news on Gary. Jill and I pass the time by watching Memoirs of a Geisha. It wasn't as good as I thought it would be, but a good flick none-the-less. I thought there would be more storyline involving the main character and the Chairman?
Finally a call from Jenn, so we all head up to the Hospital to see Gary. He is looking better and eating some custard. Turns out, his Doctor never told him to stop taking the one a day aspirin that he had been taking for years! The aspirin had thinned out his blood enough and caused complications. In other words, the Doctor caused this episode that cost Gary two more days in the Hospital! That Doctor better be footing the bill for those stays or someone's getting a malpractice suit!

After leaving Gary, Jenn wanted to hang out outside, so we decided to go mini-golfing. The rest of us totally spanked Nina, but oddly enough, she was the only one to get a hole-in-one! Here she is with her prestigious award that is hanging on the fridge. We're so proud!
BTW, can anyone answer this question...in golf, when you get a "penalty stroke" for going out of bounds, does that mean you count the shot you just took as one, then add another "penalty stroke" so you have two strokes against you?

After mini golf, we decided to try out the new Tijuana Flats Restaurant that opened in Merritt Island. I totally thought it was going to be a sit down restaurant, but it's not. You order at the counter, and they bring your food out to you. So it's kinda like half fast food/half restaurant because they do bring your food out and wander around to check if you need a drink refill...but you don't have to tip them for it. The food was decent...I may go there again.

That night, Nina's friend Dina had a house party down in Melbourne Beach. It's been so long since I've been to a house party, so it was a nice change of pace. Highlight of the evening was picking on "no shirt guy". We totally crushed his ego. He thought he was all buff and bad walking around with no shirt on, but he was so lame. Dina ended up getting thrown in the pool...and then rubbing all over everyone. There was a cake fight, someone bit it on the wet tile in Kelly's room, Gabe the black guy from Main Street Pub hooked up with old Hippie Lady (eewwww), and the French Brigade made a grand entrance late in the evening. We actually didn't get home til like 3am. Pics coming soon!

Sunday I actually got up for church. This time I tried out the Rockledge Church of the Nazarene. The people were very friendly, but the whole thing was just way too evangelical for me. The "laying on of hands", the shouts of "Amen" and "Hallelujah" from the congregation, and a ridiculously animated Pastor that talked like there was a period at the end of every word was just too much for me to handle. I don't think I will be going back there.

That afternoon, the girls and I went to see the much anticipated Divinci Code movie. I hoped it might be better than it was, but alas, it was just like I had expected it to be. It ranked up there (or down there, really) with National Treasure. Too much solving of puzzles way too fast, I called almost every "twist" before it happened. But, how else will they fit it all in to a 2.5 hour movie. Jenn made the comment that some books should not be made into movies...I think she is right about this one. I did, however, like the way they used computers to help analyze the "Last Supper" painting...good scene.

That night we were supposed to go roller skating, but the movie lasted so long that we decided to do coffee instead. We discussed a book Jenn is reading about genetic engineering, which prompted a discussion about where do we cross the line? Engineering people without the "obese" gene...is that playing God? Or is it just a more effective way to treat diabetes and heart disease? I'm going to side with the latter on this one. Nipping diabetes in the bud before it becomes a problem is just smart and logical. I think where we draw the line is when we start messing with appearances that have nothing to do with health...you know, engineering your child's hair or eye color or making them "less ugly" in society's eyes. Diversity is a necessity. Take that away and we all become Borg. You will be assimilated...resistance is futile.

That brings us to today. I am again going to try to meet this guy, Nick, for lunch (see my Thursday May 4th post entitled Boys, Boys, Boys). Last time he stood me up...but it's not entirely his fault. I didn't give him my number, so he had no way to contact me to tell me he couldn't make it. I'm still not overly excited to meet him (remember he is 5'7"), but hey, maybe I can get him to join ypB or something?

1 Comments:

  • At 6:09 AM, Blogger JGirten said…

    OK, you quoted my favorite line from one of my favorite movies.. the Tommy Boy Line.. ha ha I was cracking up.. Yes, their called Dr.'s.. shut up richard..

    Fat guy in a little coat.. ha ha

    As for the golf reference, yes when you go out of bounds you get a penalty stroke.. so you take one stroke for hitting it out of bounds, then you get one for putting it back in play and then the stroke for hitting it from back in bounds.. does that make sense??

     

Post a Comment

<< Home